Chủ Nhật, 30 tháng 11, 2014

Nyonya Curry Chicken


 This curry is the outcome of  my sudden crave for spicy curry with steaming hot rice back from holiday.  Didn't bother to check up much and I remembered jotting down a recipe from Boon's Little Kitchen
Moreover, I was very eager to start using  the Thai Brass Wok which I bought from Chinatown, Bangkok.  The elderly Chinese man told me that many Singaporeans have bought this kind of wok from him.  Am I the first Malaysian to have bought it from him?  I was so attracted to it when I saw the street vendors using this kind of wok to cook desserts and fry food.  So when I saw this brass wok at the shop, I bought it straight away and also got a discount from the Ah Pek without having to bargain.  Thanks to him.  He was so happy to let me take a photo of him.
His shop is along Yaowarat Road just before the Bangkok Chinatown roundabout after Wat Tramit.  Easy to find if you come from Hua Lamphong railway station.  Interested to know the price?  Have been using this wok to cook several dishes, stay tune to my next post.  My mum says that in the olden days, the kampong folks use it to cook desserts and make mungbean paste for kuihs.  Exactly like the Thais use it for.
 

It's a good wok to cook curry, rather non-stick.  
I can't remember when was the last time I had tried a curry with so much coconut milk.  Usually, I substitute coconut milk with low fat milk or yoghurt.  Rather bold of me, maybe because my hubby and I just received our blood test results that showed our cholesterol level isn't in the red.
Verdict - this curry is very aromatic, tasty and spiciness is just good enough.
 
Ingredients
2 kg chicken - cut bite size pieces
6 blades pandan leaves - knotted
6 kaffir lime leaves |
500 ml coconut milk
1 tbsp salt
3 tbsp gula melaka - chopped
5 tbsp cooking oil
1/2 cup water
Curry Paste Ingredients [Grind into paste]
150 gm shallots
6 stalks lemon grass
1 ginger flower
50 gm old ginger
20 gm garlic cloves
40 gm fresh galangal
3 tbsp chilli paste
Marinade for Chicken
1 tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp soy sauce

  1. Marinate chicken for  at least 1 hour.
  2. Heat up oil in wok and and fry curry paste for 10 minutes until fragrant. 
  3.  Add in chicken stir well and add in the pandan leaves, kaffir leaves.  Stir to mix well and add in seasoning.
  4. Add in water, bring to boil then simmer over low fire for 15 minutes.
  5. Add in coconut milk and continue to simmer for another 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked and tender.
  6. Serve with steaming hot rice or nasi lemak.
     
     
     
     

Socializer Widget By Blogger Yard
SOCIALIZE IT →
FOLLOW US →
SHARE IT →

0 nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét