Chủ Nhật, 14 tháng 6, 2015

CHAR KOAY KAK [FRIED STEAMED RICE CAKE]

Char Koay Kak [Fried Steamed Rice Flour Cake] is a dish quite similar in way to Char Koay Teow, Char Sago Kuih and some other stir fried noodles using the basic ingredients like beansprouts, chives, eggs and preserved radish [chai por]. But this is not as oily as Char Koay Teow as fresh koay teow basically is already oily. The steamed rice flour cake has no fats in it.
Seen this lovely recipe in a 2015 calendar distributed to customers by Tiga Gajah Cho Heng Sdn Bhd, Penang. I have tried several of their recipes such as Kuih Kosui,  Steamed Pumpkin Kuih [aka Kim Kuah Kuih]  and Steamed Yam Cake [Or Kuih].  All have turned out to be good. 
The pictures here, simply taken is enough to show that it is indeed yummy-licious. I could enjoy the pieces of Koay Kak  [rice cake] and the taste and texture are just perfect. 
Using a non-stick wok to fry, it is hassle-free and yet the result is a plate of fragrant Char Koay Kak. I believe, this dish will be even better if  I use pork lard and duck’s egg, hehehe!. I will definitely try next time. 
The portion here is enough for 4 persons but for great eaters like my family members, it is only enough for 3.  Even a friend who watches her diet had a 'big' plate.
Recipe Source from Tiga Gajah Cho Heng Sdn Bhd, Penang
Ingredients for Steamed Cake
125 gm rice flour
50 gm wheat starch
730 ml water
  1. Mix all ingredients together and strain through a sieve. Set aside to soak for 2-3 hours [I soaked for about 2 hours while I went for my morning exercise].
  2. Pour soaked flour mixture into a steaming tray [5-6 inch tin].  Stir to cook over boiling water [medium low heat] until batter thickens [takes about 10 minutes]. Then steam for 50-60 minutes.
  3. Remove and leave to cool for at least 5 hours before cutting into smaller pieces [I left it overnight].
Other Ingredients for Frying
3-4 tbsp cooking oil [less if using a non-stick wok]
5 cloves garlic – chopped
20 gm chai por [I used 20 gm each of the sweet and salty chai por] – rinsed and drained
½ tbsp chilli paste [I used 2 tbsp cos’ I like it more spicy]
2 eggs [ I used 3 large eggs]
50 gm beansprouts [I used 300 gm – tailed]
40 gm kucai [I used 100 gm] – cut 1 inch lengths
Seasoning [combine]
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp water
1 ½ tbsp dark soy sauce
1 ½ tbsp fish sauce
½ tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sugar [optional]

  1. Heat oil in a non-stick wok, sauté garlic until aromatic, add in the steamed rice cake, spread them out a little.  Leave to cook for awhile without stirring to brown the pieces.
  2. Add in the chai por, seasoning sauce, chilli paste and lightly stir to mix the ingredients well. Leave to cook for awhile so that the steamed cakes are firm and a little charred.
  3. Lastly add in the eggs, then throw in the beansprouts and chives. Stir fry to mix until cooked through.
  4. Dish up to serve immediately.
I'm sharing this post with Cook Your Books Event #24 [June 2015] hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours
Cook-Your-Books

Socializer Widget By Blogger Yard
SOCIALIZE IT →
FOLLOW US →
SHARE IT →

0 nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét